As we have to discuss the reasons for making reverse osmosis a choice for the purification of water, therefore, first of all, we will break it down into two parts osmosis and reverse osmosis. A proper discussion of basics would further make it easier for the person to understand the deeper aspects of the reverse osmosis technique.
What is Osmosis?
In order to explain the definition of osmosis in simple words, one can say that the process of weaker saline solution getting mixed with the stronger saline solution through migration is known as osmosis. As an example to this one can take, the process of water sucking used by kidneys in the human body from the blood or in the plants the process through which the roots suck water from the soil can be counted as osmosis.
Now that we know clearly the process of osmosis so we should now move to the proper definition of reverse osmosis.
How to define Reverse Osmosis?
For defining Reverse Osmosis in simple words one can say that, the process of demineralizing and deionizing the water by keeping it under pressure using a semi-permeable reverse osmosis membrane.
Now that we have discussed the basics associated with the reverse osmosis technique of water treatment, so we can now move to the reasons for which one should choose this technique of water treatment over others as after the discussion of the basics it will be easier to understand it further.
Given below are some of the advantages that are offered to the people by the reverse osmosis system:
- Efficient removal of all the contaminants: If the water will be purified using the technique of reverse osmosis then it will be free of all the bacteria, pesticides, nitrates, sulfates. Also, if the reverse osmosis system will be working with a carbon filter it will then be able to remove both chloramines as well as Chlorine.
- Easy Maintenance: The reverse osmosis systems or the filtration systems using the technique of reverse osmosis are very easy and smooth with the maintenance, the free moving and the easily replaceable parts of the filtration systems are the main reason of easy maintenance of them. All that is to be done as maintenance of these systems is filter changing and annual cleaning.
- Money savior: The reverse osmosis filtration systems are also very much budget-friendly as there is not much to be invested in purchasing them and also they are low in cost when it comes to maintenance.
If we get into a more detailed discussion regarding the choice of reverse osmosis water filtration technique over others then we can say that as compared to other types of filtration systems this particular technique works more efficiently on the removal of a wider range of pollutants from the water.
The reverse osmosis system of water filtration is mainly used in households for the purification and proper treatment of the drinking water. The tiny pores attached to the membranes of the RO system blocks all the particles that can contaminate the drinking water.
If we get into further details then the components that are removed by the reverse osmosis filtration systems very efficiently are as follows:
- Nitrate: The presence of nitrate in water can cause birth problems in babies and high level of nitrate if gets into their bodies through water then it can lead to immediate intoxication. The reverse osmosis system removes this nitrate from the water and makes the water healthy for the babies.
- Perchlorate: The presence of Perchlorate in the water can change the function of thyroid in the body and it can also lead to problems in the development of the brain of a child. This technique of reverse osmosis is used for the treatment of the drinking water then it will be easier to keep protection from such a harmful element.
- Arsenic: The presence of arsenic in the water would lead to growth impairment, weak immune system, and problems with brain development in the child. The reverse osmosis water filtration system will very efficiently keep away this arsenic and everyone will thus be able to lead a healthy life.
- Hexavalent Chromium: The presence of this particular element in the drinking water can be very harmful to the health of humans, as it can cause adverse effects on the reproductive system and it may also lead to the growth of cancer in the human body. The reverse osmosis technique very efficiently fights against this particular element and keeps it away from the water to be used for drinking.
Though the best and the most popular out of all is the reverse osmosis system for the proper treatment and purification of the drinking water but still as it comes to choosing the right filter for the treatment of the drinking water then it is advisable to the user to conduct proper research for finding out the types of pollutants present in the water and as per that one should choose the best-suited water filtration system.